Thursday, August 16, 2007

It is I Captain Vegetable!

I have a problem, a vegetable problem. We live in a community that is devoted to locally grown produce, farm stands, and farmer's markets. The Lane County Farmer's Market happens three times a week during the summer, and we subscribe to a once-a-week CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) box. This all adds up to lots of vegetables and fruit in our home.



Here is one of our typical CSA boxes. There are usually about 8-10 different items each week. It is about enough to feed a family of 4 for the week, so we share it with our dear friends.

I supplement our box with what I buy at the Farmer's Market each week. I get a little vegetable drunk at the Farmer's Market. Everything is so pretty and colorful. I get dizzy and start buying everything.




And the fruit, my God, the FRUIT! I can't get enough of the berries and melons and peaches.

Saturday Market in particular is great fun. In addition to the vegetables, there are crafts and food and music and alot of both young and aging hippies. I like to get there early before the crowds though.

All in all, summer and fall in Eugene are great for veggie lovers.

2 comments:

Gabriel said...

Hi Kim/Will...love to see the stuff from the markets! I'm so happy to be back in Eugene, and one of the first things I did was go to the Saturday Market, Awesome!

Hope you are well, inspired by your blog (and the ease of use) I set up my own! E-mail me and I can give you a link.

Have a good one!

sooz said...

Dear, dearest Kim
Here I was missing you and then you started this and I feel like I am visiting you & Will. What great photos! I realized that if I am a little late to work on Sat I can attend the Farmer's Market here at the city hall in the parking lot. I know...I am a bit slow when it comes to realizations lately. Oh, I can hear you say "Lately??" I still think of our last visit here in hell-hot Redding...and I wish we could do that every weekend...just like the movies we used to see every weekend...best year ever!!!! Love you Kimmie!!!
Susie-girl